Monday, October 10, 2005

But Where's Krispy Kreme?

Right there in the entrance to a Park’n’Shop?  I couldn’t believe it!  I thought I was in Pennsylvania!?!!  Guess what I found in Hong Kong!?  It was an Auntie Anne’s Pretzel!!  It wasn’t even close to being as big as the one I knew in the flea market in Lewisburg, PA, where Auntie Anne had one of her first locations.  But it still had great cinnamon sugar pretzels!

The world is really getting pretty common.  There are Body Shop stores everywhere in Hong Kong.  Ben & Jerry’s ice cream stands are plentiful.  I’ve even found Bert’s Bees products in Watson’s stores.  You would think you were in Chicago.  But you don’t smell gyros on the corners.  The dim sum shops have a distinctly different smell.

I’ve said for a long time that all malls in the US look alike.  Well, they look different here, but not so different.  I went to the Pacific Place mall on Saturday, and found Polo, Nautica, Gucci, Ferragamo, and Seibu stores.  Not exactly typical of most Middle America malls, but not too much difference either.

I ate Thai on Friday night on arrival.  Sat on the floor and had wonderful mootay saytay and other delicious treats.  On Saturday I found a great burger, and finished the weekend at a dinner with Mr. Tsang and guests at the Lei Garden on Sunday night.  What a fabulous meal.   I’ve been entertained there before, and I continue to be impressed.

Walking was a little difficult this weekend with another bout of plantar faciitis in my foot.  It was even more complicated with the location of the Rosedale Hotel.  You have to go over a steep crosswalk to get to anything.  And on Sunday, the area was packed with Phillipino and other immigrant women sitting in any space available in crosswalks or sidewalks.  You see, these are housecleaning ladies with no home of their own.  They live with their owners, but Sunday is their day off, and they all gather like this all over the city.  I understand they total over 350,000, all scattered in along the walks on Sundays.

But I found Auntie Anne’s.  Now if I could only find Krispy Kreme!