Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Back in the USA

So what’s it been like to be back in the U.S.? I got that question a lot the last couple of weeks. It’s taken me a while to think about the response, but I thought I would share some of my impressions and thoughts:

  • First, how could they be playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving? I hadn’t gotten a mile from the Grand Rapids airport in my rental car when I turned on the radio and there was Christmas music!! On November 11?? What is that?? Why so $%@(#*! early?

  • And Santa ….. already? I thought he came in the parade after Thanksgiving? Oh, wait a minute the parade is before Thanksgiving! But there was Santa with kids on his knees in the Woodland Mall in Michigan on November 12! How many times will a kid change his mind about what he wants for Christmas, when he goes to see Santa in early November?

  • The sunrises are beautiful in the States! Too much smog for a good sunrise in China. Of course, no one would know it, because no one gets up that early there.

  • Stores are really refreshing! Not necessarily so much better. But they are not so crowded with people. Things are so neat and pretty. And I can read the labels!

  • Land! You can see land! Almost everywhere! Not just tall high-rise buildings housing millions of people. Beautiful trees, and hills, and mountains.

  • Sports! I can see sports on TV! Not just 1-0 games of soccer! Honest to goodness football and basketball, and college, and Sports Center!!!

  • Understanding conversation…. Not having to wait for an interpretation and not knowing what is being said all around me.

  • Blonds! Enough said.

  • Soft beds! You wouldn’t believe how hard mattresses are here!

  • BBQ, and hamburgers, and fried okra, and so many desserts and treats! Oh the food has been a GREAT. And no bones, nor chop sticks either!

  • But most of all…. Friends and relatives! So good to see everyone! Nothing like the joy of being around friends and relatives to share good times!

It’s been great! But I can’t wait to get back to the daily adventures in China! And then I can look forward to coming back to appreciate all these great things again next April. Thanks to all for making it a special visit. Thanks to Teri for the comb! I needed that!

Special thanks to my friends Tony and Sandy Sanders, Kay and Carol Teeter, and Darlene and Allen Oakley for putting me up in their homes for some nights! It was greatly appreciated.