Friday, October 13, 2006

The Rain Falls Mainly in Thailand

First they had a coup, now it’s a flood! Great time to show up in Thailand! BTW, the coup ended up being a good opportunity to party. By all accounts, they just made it a holiday and everyone went down to see the military in Bangkok. They even made it a photo opportunity, having their pictures made with tanks and army soldiers.

Anyway, now it’s raining! Or has rained. Mostly in the North. I guess it is pretty bad in a lot of places there. And you never think of a city like Bangkok as being prone to floods, but I guess
it isn’t the first time. They are taking a lot of precautions. All over the country they are diverting overflow into fields to relieve the pressure down stream. They had a lot of big reservoirs for the task, but most of the rains have been below the dams. Typical, huh?

I get into Bangkok tomorrow night. I’m told my hotel is safe. It is the beautiful, incredible hotel where I was so nicely accommodated before. I still look forward to the visit. Nothing like a warm personal greeting in a strange city.

The airport should be safe. It has moved. It is an incredible new modern facility to the south of the city. I stayed at a new Novotel there the other night. Beautiful, luxurious place, but just a little too far from anything else to enjoy. None of the pleasures of the shops and night life of Bangkok proper. They also say the new airport is haunted. It is getting quite a lot of press about that. Seems that some of the land had cemeteries, and they feel the spirits are still there. All I saw were these big multi-colored oriental guards.

So back to Bangkok. And to China on Sunday. Man, I’m on the move. Next month it’s
the USA again, but somehow I got to get back to Thailand before that trip again. I’m
getting tired thinking about it!