Friday, July 23, 2010

New Kidney Update

Thursday, July 22, 2010
I’m still in the hospital! Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center. But hopefully, if all goes well, I finally get out tomorrow! What a stay!

The kidney has been great! But I had a second surgery last week to remove my dialysis catheter, and I seem to always have problems with my digestive system after the anesthesia. And then I got an infection at the incision for the kidney. It puzzled doctors a while, but they finally opted to go in and open the wound. … Yeah, I said open. That was a lot of fun!

To top it off, the doctors decided to dig into it yesterday. Only the doctor had only told me he was going to “look at it”. First thing I knew he had all kinds of devices and was pulling one way and another. I was looking for a bullet to bite between my teeth! I hadn’t had pain medicine!!! Finally, someone suggested some, and soon I was feeling much happier!

They then applied a new device to vacuum the bad cells from the wound, while allowing the good cells to help heal the cut. It was actually invented at Wake. I’ll have a small “man purse” type bag for the pump for a few weeks, and have to take regular antibiotics.

Long and short, I should be out tomorrow. It will require regular social nurse care. I’ll be home soon and can’t wait. Hopefully, I’ll see many of you soon. Come by if you can, but please call first. Remember, most of you must call to get entry into the community. I’ll do my best to accommodate.

And I’ve opened for Visitors Okay today. Please call in advance though. I never know when a doctor wants to come by to “take a look”!!

Labels: ,