Thursday, May 19, 2005

Breakfast Noodles

I'm definitely in China now. It's back to noodles for breakfast. I don't know the infactuation with noodles for breakfast, but that is the daily fare here in the "hotel".


As many of you have heard from me before, the "hotel" is the management dormitory at the plant here at Decca Furniture. It is a beautiful place (I will include some photos from last visit). There is a garden with a three story waterfall in front. An olympic three lane swimming pool, hardwood badminton court, table tennis room, indoor golf, and karaoke room are just some of the amenities. But those are shared options, and otherwise the rooms themselves, although beautiful and efficient, are very small.

The dining is separated between a large room for most management to a special dining room for upper management. I get to eat in the beautiful dining room, but for breakfast the option is only to line up in the other room and dip out noodles. Of course, I do get to garnish with pickle relish and soy sauce. Enticing, huh? The waitress had pitty on me during my last visit and broke out some white bread - didn't toast it mind you - but at least brought out some butter and jam for it.

At least Charles Gibson shares breakfast with me. Yes, I get to see the prior evening ABC news broadcast from the US live at 7:30 AM local time. Nice at least to still be connected that way. Otherwise, TV here in Dongguan much more lacking than in Hong Kong. Only two English channels, and I can't even begin to tell you where they get these shows. Most are documentaries from low budget producers. Even got some horse races last night at prime time. Only current shows seem to be Desparate Housewives and Cold Case, and don't air until 10:30 per night, and only for that hour per night. I gotta get satelitte!!

I will be living in the "hotel" until I get an apartment contracted nearby in a village of many expatriots. I can't wait.

Until then, its noodles for breakfast. Maybe my waitress friend will find some more white bread again soon.