Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Arrival in Dongguan

Well, I’m in China now! I arrived at my new office about 9 AM local time. Its hot and humid here. The winds made it a little more tolerable in Hong Kong, but not so in Dongguan. At least the office is very comfortable.

It gets so humid here that the walls and floors sweat! They have to take extra steps in the processing of wood to be sure the moisture content is low enough. If not, the finishing material does not adhere well, and customers don’t like that!

Anyway, I now even have a cell phone here. It is the same loaner I got before, so I know it. But that doesn’t mean I can use it very well. The only thing I can read on the display is “Gene”. They had that specially put in for me. Doesn’t help with the address book though. You ever tried to use all the functionality of a cell phone when you can’t read the characters. Not just can’t read the words….. I can’t even begin to comprehend what these characters mean (格式設定). I’m gonna end up with dozens of slips of paper with phone numbers.


My new number is 86 (country code) 769 (local area code) and 4868935 (number). I think if you are calling from the US, you use 011 in advance of that string, for a total of 011 86 769 4868935.


The plant address here is:

Dongguan Decca Furniture Ltd.

Lot 25-36 Nan Chu Industrial Estate

Dalingshan Town, Dongguan City

Guangdong Province, P.R.C.


And my company email is gbryson@deccafurniture.com.

If you are gonna be kind enough to call, remember that when it is 1 PM in the afternoon in North Carolina, its 1 AM here! Hopefully, I’ll be sleeping. Of course, that’s probably what some of you want to be sure of when ya call!!