Sunday, May 15, 2005

Off to China

On Friday the 13th, I left the United States. The flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong was 13 hours and 13 minutes. The pilot said that was in our favor! At least it was uneventful - the ways flights are supposed to be.

Anna, my sister, had taken me to the airport in Denver, by leaving the house at 6 AM Mountain Daylight Savings Time. I arrived in my hotel, the Excelsior, in Hong Kong about 8 PM local time, and almost exactly 24 hours since I had left Anna's Longmont, CO patio home. What a long day!

The flight was longer than usual. United upgraded me to first class from Denver. But the upgrade on the leg I really wanted, was never called. I sat in the back, on a two sided section behind three seats. Mine was offset such that when my neighbor pulled down his tray, it always bumped my left leg. Of course, my knees were into the seats in front of me anyway. I really think these seats violated some space requirement. I had none.

So I walked and stood a lot. It seemed like an awfully long flight. Didn't sleep as much as I usually do on flights. Only missed one of the five movies. It is always such a shock to see the "Time since Departure" after watching a movie. After already having had a meal, and watched National Treasure and Spanglish, the "Time since Departure" was a shocking: 4:57. Unbelivable, all that time passed, and a quick calculation makes you realize we still have eight hours to go!! Not even close to halfway! When you see 600 mph, you think it should be faster than this!

Hong Kong airport is great though. I was out of the plane and sitting in the bus lounge within 30 minutes. Customs is efficient and you move right through so effectively. I took a shuttle bus to the Excelsior this time. Traveling with all my wardrobe in four suitcases made switching to the express train a little tough. And the bus ride was very good. It went right to the Excelsior first. First stop on Causeway Bay, made all very quick and simple.

The Excelsior is so nice. They are incredibly efficient, and very pleasant in their dealings. I was quickly greeted and welcomed back. By the time I got to my room, a bellman arrived with a welcome back tray of fruit and tea. Nice touch!
Quick beer and drink at the Dickens bar... a wonderful British style pub .... and I was out for a good long night of sleep. Boy did I need that!

I'm in China now!