Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Humidity is getting worse

Just when I thought the humidity couldn’t get any worse, it started raining. And raining! And raining! It’s been pretty non-stop now for a couple of days. The thunderstorms were so strong last night, most dogs would have been cowering under beds for hours. Never heard such strong thunder for so long.

We haven’t even had TV for days. The antenna keeps getting “knocked out by lightning”. Just think of all the interesting documentaries I’m missing about insects and ancient civilizations. At least I bought a Nicholas Sparks paperback when I was last in Hong Kong. It’s a little too sappy for me, but I needed the change from The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It was a great book, which my sister had given me in Denver. Now I needed a diversion of style, that I think Sparks provides with his descriptions of Swansboro, and Boone, NC.

Anyway, this morning they even had to put old wooden pallets out in the drive from the “hotel” for us to cross the standing water to the plant. Thankfully, an umbrella was included with my goodies that came with my recent purchase of golf clubs. Otherwise, I would be still trying to dry.

And Decca does a smart thing, but it can be intimidating. In almost every room in the plant is a large digital readout of the temperature, humidity, and EMC or equilibrium moisture content. (I won’t get into EMC, but it is important in production of furniture to keep that around 6-8%.) Well, anyway, the tough thing is, that those readouts are also a constant reminder about how hot and humid it is. Seldom do you see the temperature below 30°C, and the relative humidity hovers between 90 – 95% in almost every building.

I haven’t been feeling so well lately either. Not sure if it is still the remnants of walking 18 holes of golf Sunday, or something I ate on Monday. Nonetheless, I’ve been in the bathroom a lot lately. I won’t get into details.

Feeling better today, but a little weak from not eating as much lately. This humidity isn’t helping either. I guess the ducks on the roof are enjoying. Not so sure that the chickens in the next pen are enjoying it.