Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Pigeons and Frogs

I hate to write so much about meals here, but Chinese food is certainly a large part of the culture - at least what I’m experiencing! And boy, did I experience it today!!

Invited to visit a vendor of finishing chemicals, I had the fortune of hoping in a Land Rover this morning for a two-hour jaunt across the countryside. Unfortunately, this wasn’t a new Land Rover. I don’t think it had any suspension left – no wonder with the cuts in the road that can be six-inch deep troughs for no apparent reason. And I don’t think the back seat had springs; and by the cloth cover draped over the seat, probably no upholstery underneath either. We may have been riding on the floorboard. My knees seemed like they were over my head. What a great way to ride! At least the A/C worked. The last vendor to take us on a visit lost their air about a 1/3 of the way there! Don’t ya know that was pleasant?

We arrived just in time for lunch and were marched directly to the management dining hall. It was nothing like the posh quarters of Decca. There must have been eight large round tables in a rather modern setting. Nothing contemporary, mind you, just efficient.

As we started the meal, I was at least offered Coke and a fork. But I’m cool now, and just stayed with the chopsticks. Next came the soup, which was good. I was told it was “steer” something. I decided not to ask further.

But as the platters started piling up on the lazy Susan, I noticed several things I knew, or thought I knew. The broccoli with octopus was good. The shrimp were steamed nicely, but I peeled off the heads. They probably think I wasted a bunch of shrimp. But then I noticed a platter of mussel like meat, but had no idea what it was. Of course everyone immediately spun the lazy Susan to me and offered me FROG!! And I don’t mean frog legs either!! They were not as good as frog legs, but okay. I couldn’t help again but think about my good friend Edna, and how I cut her frog in biology class in high school, because she couldn’t do it. I was sure thinking about that frog today, wondering if Mr. Banks fried up our left overs from class after we were done! Anybody know?

But then the highlight was spun around to me for a second time. I had thought it was fried chicken when it first came by, but it sure seemed to have a lot of legs and I had originally passed up when I didn’t see any white meat. Of course everyone wanted the American to try PIGEON! Yes, I said Pigeon! I always find it best just to dig in quickly and don’t think about it! So I relented. And you know, it tasted pretty good. I think that my pleasure rather surprised my hosts. But you know what really got me then: I don’t think anyone else had any! Yea, get the American to be a sucker and try it! But we’re not eating it! Well, I guess I showed them! I even kept it down for the return trip in the back seat of that Land Rover!