Monday, June 20, 2005

Round Two

Father’s Day, 2005. And, of course, all Dad’s play golf today. Right?

I did! And this time I remembered my camera too!

I played Camdor Harbor Golf Club once again! Two Sunday’s in a row. I’m getting to be a regular. Even the American I had met last time was there once again. I sat and had a good time talking with Herb and his family in the café before the round. I understand why I see the family there so often now too. His brother-in-law (met his wife in Taiwan when he was in Air Force) owns the club, and he and his family are here for an extended vacation. They are even staying upstairs over the Clubhouse. Great to have a chance to converse with Americans today!!

When the hostess called me from the café, I got paired with a group of Japanese who evidently have just moved to the Dahlingshan area like me. There were two groups with me assigned to the group of three to make a foursome. And they understood fairly good English!

Round was very enjoyable. The wind even blew making it almost bearable. At least until the sun came out about the 14th hole, and then it became brutal. Somehow I survived. On about the 17th hole, I raced to one of the few good benches on the course. I actually felt better when two of the older Japanese gentlemen stumbled over me to sit on the bench too. I wasn’t the only one tired!

Worse part about the round though, was no Caddy #107. I requested her again, and never understood why, but I was paired this time with Caddy #81. I think my golf bag was bigger than Caddy #81. Not nearly the same personality either. Didn’t even get those great dim sum treats today. I couldn’t’ even get her to get a Coke for me. And after the round, most of the Japanese were complaining that our caddies didn’t do a very good job searching for golf balls. I have to agree that #81 didn’t. She did surprise me by pulling my Nike ball out of a lake, but otherwise I must have lost a sleeve from no one watching errant tee shots. I needed my ole partner Jim Kraft. He always said to let him watch, if we would listen. He had good eyes. I don’t think I can see a golf ball past 150 yards anymore.

At least I did par more holes. I had about four pars somehow. I think I was getting used to the slow greens, and made several one putts. Score was probably worse though. A lot more “others” today! I found more water than I remembered. Oh well, I got to play.

And my driver suggested food afterward! Boy did I need to hear that. No dim sum, and I had passed on the club sandwich this week. I immediately suggested McDonald’s. Can’t believe I get excited over Mickey D’s now! Would have been my second time in a couple of days. Yea, I said, “would have”. We pulled up and I thought it was odd that there were no cars in front. As I got out, it looked even more vacant inside. I noticed a posted sign at the door, but my driver seemed oblivious of it. He kept trying to get me in until I pointed to it. He then shrugged his shoulders. I didn’t need to see that!

He did do a good job of sign language when we got back in the van. He pointed to the dome light, turned it on and then off, and pointed back at McDonald’s. I then realized there was no power! Looking at the next few stores, it looked like power must be off in all of downtown. Can you believe it! I finally get to McDonald’s, and I can’t get in because there is no power!!

Well, enjoy the pics! See link at right, and more info about link in later post.