Monday, July 18, 2005

A BIG Island

Bigger than I ever imagined……. To Repulse Bay Beach”, I told the cab driver. He nodded and started down the street from the hotel. Slowing in traffic, he said, “Aberdeen tunnel okay?” A tunnel, I wanted to go to the other side of the island, not off the island over to Kowloon. Oh no, our communication was off to a troubled start.

So, pulling over, there we started back and forth looking at maps and trying to converse on where to go, he in Cantonese, and me in English. He pulled out a book that showed Repulse Bay Arade. Whatever that was, it sounded like it was close enough. So I agree, and off we went again. Racing through the streets, I was happy to see him pull eastward near the Hong Kong Central area. I knew the beach was on the east side of Hong Kong Island.

Then I saw a sign that made things clearer. A road sign indicated a tunnel to Aberdeen ahead. I had thought the only tunnels were under the harbor. Knowing I wanted to go to the beach on the other side of Hong Kong Island, I knew I didn’t need to cross the harbor, so a tunnel puzzled me. But now I realized this tunnel was through the mountains to the east side of the island after all . So I relented: Tunnel okay”, I said. The driver nodded and seemed relieved.

The tunnel was well over a mile long. This is some island. The mountain ridges shoot up from the sea, leaving very little level land along the shores. I don’t know the altitude reached by the mountains, but it is certainly high enough, and plenty steep. All that couples to make much of this island uninhabitable.

And, man is this A BIG ISLAND. We were soon skirting the east shore roads, and weaving, (and I do mean weaving) through beautiful apartment and condominium complexes. Rounding a curve, suddenly huge, impressive hotels shot to the sky.

And then a sweet smell struck me! What, how could it be in this hilly area? But make no mistake, my nose was right! I’m pretty good at recognizing that smell! (J) There at an impressive entryway was a sign for the Hong Kong Golf Club. It looked like there was relatively little space before the mountains rose steeply again. And it didn’t look like it was a layout climbing into the hills either. Several golfers were out in the heat, walking and carrying their own clubs.

But my destination was just ahead across the street: a huge, and widely popular beach. And boy was crowded on this hot and sunny Sunday. I was at Repulse Bay Beach. Very nicely outlined with trees along the street, it then was heavily crowded with masses of sun worshipers. A deep bay, it swept to the South China Sea with a wide beautiful panorama of numerous islands to the east.

I took a short walk around in the heat, but passed up staying in the sun for long. I just hadn’t packed for a day on the beach, and didn’t desire laying in the sun by myself either. So after a quick ride, I proceeded a little further around the island to Stanley, the site of my first visit to this side of the island.

It was another enjoyable visit to the quaint fishing village turned into shopping mecca. Stanley was very busy on this Sunday. The Market was a little too crowded. But the bars and restaurants along the beach were a treat.

For the return trip, I rounded the other side of the island in another cab. As we proceeded for the long ride over the hills and skirting more bays I was caught up in amazement of this wonderful island. It is much bigger and bolder than I could have ever imagined. I can only believe that Hong Kong has got to be bigger than many countries, not only in population but in scale too. I was only on the Hong Kong Island, and this wasn’t even close to being the biggest land mass. Always a joy and surprise, I’m certainly enjoying the visits to this BIG ISLAND.