Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Notes on a Hot Day

(written 18 Jul 2005 – not posted until now due to other news)

I am always amazed at the unique and unusual that shows up in Hong Kong. Today I was returning from across the harbor (retrieved new visa), and decided to take a new turn out of the subway. Now I’m certainly not to used to subways. The closest thing to a subway in North Carolina is the Amtrak and it only runs between a couple of cities. Certainly doesn’t operate in Rulfton nor underground anywhere more than a short tunnel.

But I’m getting pretty good with this subway stuff. I hopped right in with the masses to get around today. And I do mean masses! I set off this morning around 10 AM, and it musta still been rush hour. I sure wouldn’t have wanted to be there any earlier if there were more people. Even with my big frame – I’m definitely bigger than most here – the folks usually make a little room for me to squeeze in. Today was certainly “a squeeze”. What a crowd.

Well, getting adventurous on arrival back at the Wan Chai station near my hotel, I decided to take another exit from the underground maze to ascend to Hennessy Road for my route to my temporary home. Rising up a long stairway, I began to question my decision. About a third of the way up the long climb (where was the escalator anyway?), I got hit. Hit like a rock. No, I didn’t fall. But I almost withered on the spot. A wave of heat hit me like I hadn’t remembered in a long time.

You see, ya get underground in the cooling of the subway, and the exits get to be a real awakening. It sure was this time. I remember a hot summer on my boat in the Susquehanna River, when even turning up the speed only made it seem like you were driving deeper into an oven. Well, that was a little like this felt.

I had little choice but to move on now. So ascending, I noticed my next mistake was that I was on the wrong side of the road. Now usually that isn’t so bad. But you see, Hennessy Road is a little bigger than most, and has few pedestrians crosswalks. Instead, it has these nice overhead crosswalks. And there was one directly overhead. Next problem though: how do you get up there? These are not always so easy to figure out. Seeing an escalator nearby I decided to follow a crowd up a flight, which seemed to be near the crosswalk. Surely I would be able to just round a corner at the top and get to my destination. Wrong! Not only was there no exit to the crosswalk, but I had made my way into what my son and many computer geeks would call “heaven” There were more stores of computer equipment and supplies than I had ever seen. The ceiling was low, and the aisles as narrow as the Stanley Market. It was like weaving through a crowd trying to get to the ACC Tourney at game time. And there were two floors like this. I have to admit, I enjoyed seeing some of the items, but it wasn’t exactly my goal today. And as much as I looked for an exit, all I kept finding was another maze or floor that got me no closer to my destination. I feared I would soon be in North Point (or next subway station), and would have to take the subway back to Wan Chai all over again.

Seeing a window to Hennessy Road, I spied the crosswalk I longed to cross. It was right out the window, almost in range to touch. But the only escalator nearby just went up! That wasn’t going to help! Asking a store attendant nearby, I was directed to go down and back to the opposite direction of Hennessy Road. I don’t think I was the first to be lost asking for such advice.

So off I went again. Finally exiting, I took his advice and headed down an escalator hidden in a corner. Spying the subway exit that I had originally ascended, I turned to go behind it away from Hennessy Road. And there it was, finally, an escalator to climb and crossover.

I made it. In fact, when I alighted the stairs from the overhead walk, I was back at my usual exit from the Wan Chai subway. Oh well, I did enjoy seeing the computer accessories market.