Saturday, August 27, 2005

A DVD Player

Unable to get a phone line to connect my computer in my apartment, and since my CDs, and other belongings are still in route from NC, I finally joined the ranks of owner of a new DVD player. Made in China, of course. And purchased in a local department store for about 190 RMB. Convert that……………. Okay, I will for ya: It’s about $35 US. Same price ya get at WalMart, right! Ha! Prices of this stuff are cheeeeeaaaaap here!

And then I bought some DVDs to go with it. That was even more amazing. Upstairs over the Dongguan WalMart, you find store after store of DVD and CD shops. For 15 RMB, or about $1.25 you can buy most any recent DVD!! I even bought the four seasons of 24 for only 180 RMB. Remember the DVD player price. Yep, that means it cost me around $30 US. Even in Hong Kong one season of 24 is about $60!!

Okay, yea, I probably can’t bring these back to the US. I’ll just enjoy ‘em here for now!