Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Another Dinner Out

It’s been a while since I had much to write about an unusual dining experience.  Well, I now have a new opportunity to write about from a dinner last week.  I was invited to join the “girls:  Ziyi, Jessica, and Paris,” for dinner.  And we were honored to have some special guests, “Angelina and Brad”.  The additional guests were special enough, but the meal had its share of surprises too.  

This Thursday evening we took the opportunity to get away from the “Hotel”, and headed out to dinner at a relatively new hotel in Houjie, one of the larger towns in Dongguan.   I can’t even tell ya the name.  The restaurant was like so many Chinese establishments, large with many big private dining rooms.   The private rooms are all the same too, large round dining tables with the spinning center tray and a television in the corner.

The attendants quickly provided us a menu that my friends were eager to show me since it had pictures with English descriptions.  As I’ve said before, I really like to eat and ask what I’ve had later.  But on this night the pictures were right in my face before I knew it.

And soon thereafter, the food was right there in my face too.  I’ve been over here so long now that most of the items were repeat offerings.  Now that is getting pretty scary.  We had the obligatory pork intestines, the big bowl of fish heads, shrimp on a stick, and the famous chicken feet.  But these were broiled feet instead of the barbecued style like I had been served just a few nights before this.   You haven’t lived until you spit out the toenails of chicken feet!

Really a great meal though.  The food was wonderful, and I was able to just try a few of the wilder items without having to eat too much of each.  I’m still having a hard time getting used to the shrimp though.  They are eaten whole here – shell, head, and all.  I prefer to peel.   And I thought the Cajun style of sucking head of crawfish was unusual!