Friday, September 02, 2005

People, People, Everywhere

China has a lot of people. Over 1.3 Billion!! Now most everyone knows that. But unless you spend time here, you really just have no idea how many there are here.

Statistics I’ve heard:
  • First, again a reminder that there are 1.3 billion people!

  • Population growth rate is estimated at .58%. That means an additional 7.5 million people a year.

  • There are more women between 15 and 27 than there are people in all of the United States!

  • From where I live in Dongguan City there are 4 million people within 6 miles! Yes, I said within 6 miles!! I guess you can say I can see that many people in the buildings out my apartment!!

  • There are 9 million people within 12 miles!!

  • And 40 million within 60 miles!!

  • That means I travel past about 20 million every time I go between my apartment and work. I believe it, all you see is buildings and people, unless it’s a steep mountain range.

  • In China, 300 million people have been moved out of poverty in the last 25 years.

  • The labor pool is 760 million!!

These numbers influence everything. The labor pool here has led to the growth of the economy and the downfall of the American industry. Everyday that I roll into the industrial park of our plant there are probably a hundred people trying to get in for a job. Another 20-30 are already past that point and awaiting interviews at our plant gate.

The number of available workers makes a big difference on just the way things are done. For instance, where American industry might automate, here you just have people move it. We probably have 400 people just moving parts. Labor is usually cheaper than investing in automation.

Wherever you go people!! People! More people! It is just incredible! You’ve hopefully seen some of the pictures about how many people there are in Hong Kong. They are not as close, but it is still very daunting numbers here in the mainland. You can’t believe how many are in a WalMart! It’s busier than a Panther’s game!