Friday, October 21, 2005

Brazilian at the Royal Lagoon

First, after our golf game last week, Lucas was mentioning how he enjoyed good steaks and had just been to the Brazilian at the Royal Lagoon the night before. Well, it didn’t take much coaxing to convince him to return. We were there by 6:30 after our round of golf! How had I not been here before?? I’ve eaten at the Royal Lagoon several times, and have mentioned their great food in other restaurants. But for whatever reason, I had not gone to the Brazilian. For six months here, I have missed the best!!

I could tell before that it was a very impressive dining room from walking through the corridors of the Royal Lagoon in the past. It sits on the huge, and I mean HUGE, swimming pool at this Sofitel Hotel. Decorated in a modern theme, it is very comfortable and spans a long section of the first floor of the hotel.

But it’s the service that is the treat. You get a taste it will be something special when you arrive and find at every place setting, a yoyo with a green label “Yes Thank You”. Turning it over, you see that the back says “No Thank You”. Claudia explained to me that it was to let the wait staff no when to stop serving you!! Oh yes!! Bring it on!! (She also mentioned that couples were known to unscrew and reverse them to have “Yes” and “No” yoyos. She immediately started making a set for herself.)

We first partook of a great buffet of salads! Green salad! First time I’ve seen that in Dongguan! And then the food started coming!! The waiters just show up at your table with a skewer of steaks and just carve slices down into your plate until you tell ‘em to stop!! Skewer after skewer of different steaks! REAL STEAKS!! Honest to good beef! In China!! Here I was in the home of chicken and fish and finally having a meal of beef!! Okay the skewer of chicken hearts did remind me where I was! - I passed on them.

Mitchell, Claudia, and Lucas seemed to know everyone in the place. The staff was all coming by to say hello. And Lucas got us a special dish of scallops. It mixed with the beef deliciously!

Back to the buffet to end the meal, we found the typical Chinese array of fruits, and ICE CREAM!! YES!! ICE CREAM!! I’m in heaven!!