Friday, October 21, 2005

Home Western Restaurant at the Grand Oriental

Well, on Thursday my associates at the plant decided a night out on the town was the way to end our day. We headed back to the home of the crocodiles (see previous post “Where’s Dundee”), the new Grand Oriental Hotel, nearby in our Dahlingshan town. But this time we opted for the buffet side in the Home Western Restaurant.

What a buffet!! I thought I had seen great all-you-can-eat setups in Vegas. This had as much and more. And most was “western” style. Okay, a lot was still Chinese. But they still had waffles, salad bar, steaks, and ICE CREAM! Twice in one week! Steaks and Ice Cream! A new first there!

Charles, the head chef, took me all around the place on arrival. He wanted to show me every dish and every offering. I thought I would never get to eat. Every time I got excited about another offering, he wanted to show me another bar! Over here it’s the salad bar; over here, the dim sum bar; back here, the soup bar; over here, the steak and meat counter, where they would grill to your liking; in the middle, a sushi bar; and of course, an enormous desert bar.

It did take a little coaxing to get the wait staff to find me some iced lemon tea. That seems to be the only way to get iced tea – stuffed with several slices of lemon. And accompanied by a small pitcher of sweetener. Not the best, but at least a different from the typical green tea.

The dim sum was a special treat. And the desert bar – oh my!! A chocolate fondue that was certainly popular with the kids. Then a huge array of fruits of all kinds. Ice cream being hand dipped!

I’ve got not just one, but two great new restaurants to visit regularly now!!