Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Dongguan's Eiffel Tower

Tall and majestic.  Reaching to the sky.  Strong and bold in design.  The lower arches brace the base of this magnificent structure.  The steel beams are riveted in place.  The name on the outside is not necessary.  But right there along Highway 107, is the unmistakable name - half way up the tower:  Eiffel.

Did I say highway 107?  Yep, there is no view of the Seine from here.  But there are sure some imposing buildings that would look right at home on Avenue des Champs-Elysees, even though we’re thousands of miles from Paris.

This is the Eiffel Tower of Dongguan.  An entry arch to the grounds isn’t quite the Arc de Triomphe, either.   Massive trees line the lane back to the French Baroque style buildings.  They would certainly be home on the Avenue des Champs-Elysees.

What is this complex?  Since Highway 107 construction ended recently, and it has become a common route to my apartment, I’ve grown more and more interested in this Eiffel Tower complex.  But with drivers that speak little to no English, I have been at my wits end to find out.  Finally, Tony took me home the other day to New World Garden.  I had a chance to ask and find out more about this Parisean village near Dahlingshan.

To my surprise, it was not a resort or tourist park.  No this is a factory!!  And I thought Decca had exquisite grounds.  This tops even our finest.  It turns out that this is a factory for Eiffel ladies handbags.  They picked the theme to go with their title.  They did a good job with it.  And I understand the bags are rather popular too!