Sunday, October 02, 2005

On Another Visit to Wal-Mart

As I mentioned, I had to go back to China Telecom yesterday. Well, since the store was near Wal-Mart, I decided to stop in to pick up a few things. It was probably their busiest day of the year. I have never seen so many people in one store in all my life. You see, Saturday, was National Day, the 56th anniversary of the Peoples Republic of China. And it was a rare holiday for most workers of China. Even Decca was closed.

Getting to the store, I wasn’t sure it was going to be open on a holiday. I soon realized it was open and more! The street was almost impassable. There were more mopeds and bikes in the front than I’ve ever seen at a Honda dealer. Heading in through the crowd I could tell this wasn’t going to be easy. The aisles were jammed with people and people.

Typical of so often when I venture into a store like Wal-Mart or other store here in China, I become somewhat of a celebrity. They just aren’t used to seeing white people, particularly one as big as me. I’m not bragging. And I sure don’t want to have paparazzi following me around. It’s bad enough just trying to get through a store, when people are just stopping all around me to watch and gaze at me. Often right in my path or worse, right in my face!

As I passed down one aisle, a mother evidently told her daughter behind her to look at me. This little girl, probably about 7 or 8, then rolled her eyes up from my legs to my face and uttered and unmistakable: “WHOA”!! I just said hello as she bounced into her mother who had stopped to watch. She acted like she had just seen a giant! I guess I was to her.

Soon another young man of about 12 or 13 wandered right up to me and said “Hello”. I get this often too. The kids here study English, and are evidently proud to try it on foreigners whenever they can. The young boys parents were about ten feet away, watching with intent interest. He asked, “What’s your name?” and held out a hand to shake. I spoke a few minutes to him and complimented his English. He and his parents were gleaming with pride.

As I started toward the massive lines at the checkout, a manager spoke up to me in English again. He offered, “No wait down at the end”. I took the opportunity to ask him for some more medicine for my allergies. In a quick furtive glance, he motioned me to follow back through the maze and crowds to an area where a Pharmacy graced a corner that I was not aware existed. He then helped me with his broken English to find me some Tylenol Cold. Unfortunately, no Sudafed, but at least it was help! And in English!

I made my way on through the checkout process in due time. Never very fast with this many people, but a pleasant day all the less at Wal-Mart of Dongguan.