Saturday, November 05, 2005

What a Place!

Thailand was certainly different! What a place! The beauty of a tropical island! The mystique of an ancient civilization! People very polite and beautiful! And a wild side unlike I’d ever been around before!

I ended up working long hours much of my time in Thailand. We had a couple of major projects with deadlines for quick shipping, so the plant operated late into the day on Saturday and Sunday. I did get out a couple of late nights to see the area, but did not get the time in Bangkok that I would have preferred. I hear wonderful things about this unique and marvelous city. Did you know there are 8 million people in Bangkok? I had no idea it was that big!

I had my location down a little wrong too. We were in Chon Buri, not Chumberry. It is one of the bigger cities of Thailand. But you realize immediately that this is more of a third world country than most of China. Bangkok looked to be much more modern, but Chon Buri was more casual and poorer. There was still a MacDonald’s near the hotel. But most locals seemed to dine at the many local street vendors selling you-name-it, or guess would be more appropriate for what I was doing. I think it was a lot of sausage like stuff, and squid type fish food.

My hosts took me into Pattaya for one night. That is a rather famous beach for Asia. It was nightfall by the time we got to the beachfront, so I can’t say much about the beauty of it. What I saw so much of was miles and miles of beachfront streets that looked to be a sailor’s dream. This wasn’t the place to bring the family. Bar after bar lined the avenues. The famous “walking street” was, let’s just say, very unique.

We did find time to get a Thai massage in Pattaya. Thailand is famous for massage. There was a parlor every five store fronts. I had a cute little masseuse that could bore through your body with her weight. I’m sure glad she was little! But a great massage!

Leaving Bangkok, we had about an extra hour in the airport. International flights all require the extra time now, but I think it is just a ploy by the duty free shops. And boy did they have duty free shops. It was like a mini-mall. Great buys on all kinds of local treats. Massage oil was great. But mostly its all of those elephant and Buddha type things that you get home with, and think to yourself “Why did I buy this thing?” Mine are now in the closet.