Sunday, December 04, 2005

Whistling Winds

Did you know wind can really whistle through cracks in windows! It sure can at sixteen stories up in an exposed apartment. I awoke yesterday to a shrill whistle as the wind whipped outside and pushed its way through every nook and joint in this place.

A cold front came in overnight. Or it was still coming in. And contributing to a chill throughout the tiny flat I now call home. Tight construction is not a trait of the contractors here.

Reading the forecast, I had made my way back to Wal-Mart yesterday. I bought a heater and thicker blanket. Sure glad I had those this morning. My German friend, Ben, had told me a couple of weeks ago, that I better buy a heater before the winter set in. Somehow the Chinese don’t consider it necessary to have heat in homes. Sure they put three window air conditioners in the apartment, but no provision for warming. I guess that tells me I shouldn’t expect many cool nights. But sure glad I had it this morning.

It was to get down to 12° degrees. That’s Celsius. Okay, I know that isn’t so cold. Around 50° F. But with the wind and the change from the usual here, it is definitely a chill in the air. ……… Still a lot warmer than Denver’s 19 or Advance’s 37. You know, come to think of it, it is rather pleasant. Time for a walk.