Saturday, January 21, 2006

Getting to Thailand!

Missed ferry ride, rush to the airport, two hours in customs, crab and crawfish dinner outdoors, and a wedding! Thailand has been another unique experience. On top of it, my phone isn't working, and internet is limited. I will have to go with a short version of the events of the last few days and spend more time on details later.

To say the least, getting to Thailand was not easy. First, remember that we had just had another famous Decca party Wednesday night at the plant. One of the things about getting to know the plant personnel better came back to haunt me at this party: I had to "toast" every table! At least most. I've never "bottoms up" so many glasses since college!

So when my driver called Thursday morning at 7:30 to say he was downstairs, I was a little more than surprised. My headache was bad enough, but I expected him at 8. Now I had to scurry to get things together to leave for a week! I missed some things! Got my laptop, but forgot my cord! Not much use now! I didn't have my passport either! Not too bad, just a quick stop at the office to get it from my locked desk before heading on to the ferry.

So off to the ferry. On my last trip to Thailand, the ferry connection had worked beautifully. The ferry runs right to the Hong Kong Airport, and you check-in for everything right there. But nooooo, not this time. I was informed I did not have an e-ticket this time, and without a real ticket, I could not get through Customs. Much less, I was informed that my passport expires in less than six months, which is less than allowed to go to Thailand. (They later found new info to say it was only a four month limit! Whew!) But now I had to get to the airport!
Calling my driver back we rushed to the border crossing to walk across. Time was tight! I jumped through China customs, and took the shuttle to Hong Kong Customs. As I got off the bus, the line started there! There! This was about 100 yards from the building, snaked twice and still worked like the Disney Pirates of the Caribbean ride that fools you to think you are close when you enter the building, only to find more snaking lines. ..... It took almost two hours. I knew then I was doomed.

I jumped from bus to bus again, hardly knowing if I was on the right one. Then a green taxi to the airport. I arrived at my original departure time. So I got a late flight. All told, it took me over twelve hours to get to my Thailand hotel. A long day!

But more adventure awaited, and was to come! I will tell more about that soon! As soon as I get to a computer and faster services that I can use!