Saturday, March 11, 2006

Passport Time

I’m in Hong Kong again! No other choice this time. My Visa to work in China ran out. Yep, it’s been six months on a multi-entry Visa that gave me the right to come in and out of China, as long as I did it every thirty days. Hopefully, I will get the same again this time.

But I also had to get a new US passport. I was surprised to find a few weeks ago, that even though my passport does not expire until June, that that is not good enough in a lot of countries. See, when I was on my way to Thailand several weeks ago, I was turned away from the ferry because I didn’t have six months remaining on my passport. Seems Thailand requires at least six months. Turned out to only be four months, but it sure woke me up to a need to get moving to get a new passport.

So a few weeks ago, I paid the US Consulate in Hong Kong a visit. Talk about security. It was a heck of a search. We think airports are tough. Its really good to see, even though its regrettable, but they do one heck of a security job at these State Department facilities. I couldn’t even keep my cell phone on me. After searches, any electronic device, from my camera to my Ipod were confiscated and held at the entry.

Then in a pretty efficient manner I was called to a window where they took my forms and corrected what was necessary. I was then shuttled to a cashier for payment, and then told to return in at least 10 days.

Yesterday, I did as instructed and showed up at an exterior window to get my new passport. There was a long line of citizens trying to get Visas to enter the US, but me, as an American, took priority and I was shuttled to the front to pickup my new passport. I had it within 10 minutes an was on my way. Pretty efficient.

Back to the Visa. Today I had to reapply for a new Visa. Now I wait. Hopefully the two passports and actions underway don’t cause any problems and Monday afternoon I’ll be ready to return to China for another six months of work. In the meantime, I get to enjoy Hong Kong. Good time to be here too. I’ve got a lot of Decca folks coming in this weekend. Chris Plasman is already here and we’re enjoying some good meals. Monday, it could be another typical Decca party and dinner. Can’t wait.

Hong Kong contact info is in order until Tuesday China time. That’s phone number +852 6535 7553. In the meantime, we’re off to the pub!