Monday, June 05, 2006

Butchering the English Language

What did that say?  I’m always amazed at the use of English in most things around here.  I believe I’ve commented before about how bizarre it can be.  Like the Combridge Bookstore that opened across the street from my home.  I’m sure they meant for that to be the Cambridge Bookstore.

Shirts and apparel are almost always in English.  I’ve even been frustrated at the availability of shirts or hats in Chinese.  They are always English.  I want a golf hat with the local club I play in Chinese characters.  ….. Nooooo… all they have is English.  

I got in the elevator with a lady the other day in my apartment, and noticed she had a bright shirt with the words across her chest:  “Smurfs”, and with blue and white sequins of the famous characters,.  I laughed and said, “Oh, the Smurfs.  I haven’t seen them in a while.”  She said, “What does Smurfs mean?”  Typical, she had no idea.  [By the way, I fumbled on trying to figure out how to tell her what the Smurfs were…. I don’t think I ever got it across to her.]

The other week, I was at the new South China Mall (see earlier posting).  I came upon the t-shirt pictured below.  I still am trying to figure out how “Romantic and Military” go together.  There are some Russian references too, though, so who knows.

The Chinese seem to try to appease us guests of the country with attempts at English accompanying business billboards, advertising, apparel and the like.  It gets more than a little confusing sometimes.  And since they have probably just used a computer program to translate, the meaning doesn’t always come across quite right.  By the way, don’t attempt to use a computer program to translate English back to Chinese….. I’ve been embarrassed enough on that one.