Friday, June 01, 2007

Meet My Drivers - Nicknames Anyway

He’s “The Honker” one of my favorite drivers. Yeah, I have nicknames for them. I haven’t shared their nicknames with too many people, and they don’t speak English, so they wouldn’t understand anyway. But here’s a summary:

  • The Honker – it should be apparent why he has that nickname. If you look back at my recent posting about honking horns, you know it happens a lot here. He is probably personally responsible for the replacement of every horn in a vehicle at Decca. He wears them out.
    • There are rides that I prefer to call him The Rocker. He has one of those incredibly irritating ways of rocking up and down on the accelerator. You know: zoom around, off the pedal and coast, zoom around another car, and then drop back again.
  • The Flasher - I guess you could say he is the silent “honker.” Instead of honking the horn, he flashes his lights at others. And he is constantly doing it. Someone in a lane nearby starts to move in front of him and he flashes. A motorcycle is slow in front of him, and he flashes for him to move out of the way. Surprisingly, most others respect it, and just make room for him.
  • New’un - He isn’t the newest driver anymore, but his name rhymes closely with New’un. And besides, I still can’t pronounce his real name.
  • Deep Throat- Not because of any dark secret. No, he has that annoying local habit of clearing his throat deeply and spitting out the window. Happens almost every trip. But he is recently vying to take The Honker’s moniker by outdoing him in use of the horn.
  • Lead Foot - I’ve struggled for a better nickname, but he can be a little heavy on the foot. But heck, so is everyone else really. I have been toying with some kind of bad luck nickname for him too. For as good as he seems to be at driving, he seems to get into more close calls than anyone else. Probably a relationship between the luck and his speed. We do usually get there pretty quick.

Riding the roads of China is always a wild experience. I have to have something to keep my mind off the hazards. The nicknames have helped ………… at least some anyway..

Labels: ,