Friday, October 26, 2007

The Green Light

”I didn’t expect China to look like Times Square!” That was the comment of a friend’s wife visiting here last year. We had taken her to the Old City of Dongguan and she told us the narrow cobblestone streets lined by canals and banyan trees was more of what she had expected here. Not all the lights of the city.

Well, Dongguan certainly seems to have a love of lights. Almost every building erected is topped with some magical lighting to enhance its appeal.

One truly got my attention the other day. On seeing something bright I stepped out on my sixth floor balcony, to get startled. I had seen a flash of green through my blinds. As I stepped out I saw a long green beacon of light come at me. It looked like some kind of laser in the sky. Sweeping right at me, I unconsciously ducked to only see is sweep by at a safe distance overhead.

The large green beacon is just the newest attention getter here. It swings in a wide arc and a large beam across the sky nightly from the top of a new nearby apartment building. Unlike large sweeping beacons like often seen at new shopping center openings, this is more like a thin bright laser light. But it certainly gets your attention.

Labels: , ,