Saturday, January 19, 2008

Singers & Models at Dinnertime



Violinists, orchestra, models on a catwalk, singers, and flutists. You would think I was at another wedding. But nope, this was just the Grand Opening of a new restaurant: Pousthouse restaurant in the Nancheng area of Dongguan City.

Months ago, I wrote about how I enjoyed the dinners at the Pousthouse restaurant specializing in Yunnan food near my home. They even cooked beef over hot rocks right at your table. Well, I’ve gotten to be a regular to two of their nearby restaurants and last week the manager invited us to come to the Grand Opening of their new restaurant in Nancheng. I just thought it would be a nice dinner at the new location. I didn’t bargain for an entertainment special. Heck, I didn’t even bring my camera. (Photos here are from my poor cell phone - sorry.)

The new location is a fabulous fixture in a new complex. It occupies a round rotunda on the second floor. Escalators to the entrance make it more convenient than other locations Water cascades down beside the stairway in a huge torrent through massive Pousthouse Restaurant signage. Of course, as always with any new establishment, large flower arrangements from suppliers lined the entry.

pon arrival, I was shocked to hear musicians and singers in chorus. Soon we were seated near a long catwalk that meandered through the restaurant and models were parading by us. Nice distraction from the meal. Especially since they were a little disorganized and the food took a long time to come out. But that’s alright; the music and entertainment were great.


And I was even singled out and introduced. Yeah, again being the only Westerner can get you some extra attention, even thoughI wasn’t looking for it. But sure enough, I realized the emcee and hostess were talking about me as the “megua.” Next thing I knew they had a television camera trained on me for several minutes.

And then a few other patrons came by just to take my picture. Ahhhh, the fame in going out for dinner in Dongguan.

Labels: , , ,