Sunday, April 27, 2008

One Last OFTR Golf & Tepanyaki

It’s been an odd week, as I prepare to return to the US. Leaving a place you have called home for three years is never easy. Having made great friends here and become very attached to this area, I feel a deep loss in my stomach about leaving it.

But there is also some pain in my body. The PKD is taking its toil, and my renal function is worsening. I need to get back to the US and get “active” status on the UNOS wait list. The prognosis is still not very good though. I could soon be on dialysis. My turn on the wait list is probably a couple of years away. It could be a painful couple of years.

I did raise enough strength to play golf with my friends at the One for the Road golf outing yesterday. It was great! Our team even won on my last round with the boys. The camaraderie and friendship there among the guys is greater than any I’ve ever been associated with. I’ll deeply miss the group and the monthly outings.

And we finished the night at the Kingpot Tepanyaki for a wonderful meal. The restaurant is one of the best. Andy is an incredible chef. A night there is like no other. And it’s certainly not like any typical knife-slinging Japanese steakhouse that rustles you in and out like cattle being fed at a trough. No, at the Kingpot a meal takes about 3 hours for the six or seven courses. And each one tops the last in flavor and experience.

It was a good day. I’m just sorry it was one of my last in Dongguan…………. But I will be back.

Chef Andy prepares banana flambé in right photo.

Labels: , , , ,