Sunday, July 25, 2010

Saturday, July 24 - I'm HOME!!!!!

I’m HOME!! YES! Slept in my bed last night! Of course, I had to constrain myself to sleep on my back with a hose for a device to my wound (I’ll explain that in another post soon}. But at least I was in my bed!

It took most of Friday to get out of the hospital. I got home around 5 PM. There were a lot of last minute processes, including a stress test on the new kidney. That constituted driving 2 bags of IV solution fast. My bladder had its own test with this. It hadn’t worked so much in a long time. But the new kidney continued to work admirably!! That’s the great news.

I did have to come home with a new IV. Because of the infection, they want to treat me with more aggressive antibiotics through IV. I’ve already been trained in how to administer daily. It will take about 3 hours. Just when I thought I was getting away from hours and hours of dialysis, I now get to do antibiotic IVs. Oh well, it should only be about 3 weeks. Getting to good healthy body is worth it.

As a new kidney recipient, I get to also take some aggressive drugs. One of the keys is immunosuppressant drugs to keep the new kidney from rejecting. Remember, it is in a foreign body, and has to adapt. And we have to take these drugs to assure it gets every chance to adapt without rejection.

And during this time, I am more susceptible to infections, particularly viruses, etc. The infectious disease doctors recommended I not even attend any public settings for 2-6 months. That unfortunately includes church, ballgames, etc. And anyone visiting should only visit if not sick with any type flu, or having been exposed to any possible infection from someone else, such as around kids in a daycare center. So forgive me, but I must insist on use of antibacterial soap in any visit, and only if the points above are met. I want to see everyone, but I must really take care of this kidney for now.

Part of it, is that I am also more susceptible than every to viruses, etc. And if I get any, it will be worse for me than with any normal healthy human. So I guess I’m going to become like Monk or any other germ phobic. Forgive me if I am not quick to shake hands or hug. I know that’s a big change for me, but I must insist right now. I want to see many of you, but only by minimizing the risks.

Thanks,

Labels: ,