Monday, May 16, 2005

VISA to Mainland

One never quite knows what to expect here. The people are so efficient. But it is also China.

Today, I went to a travel office for a visa to the mainland. The fact that I went today at all, is significant. This is a holiday in Hong Kong (don't ask me what holiday). But one of the offices... not all offices... but at least this one, was open today.

On my first visit to China, I walked down to the main office, applied, left, returned in 3 hours, and received my visa to enter the mainland. This time, I was surprised to find that there was no 3 hour wait available. It would be no visa until Tuesday afternoon!! That sure changes plans! Still not quite sure how I will get to the plant tomorrow.

It seems that the wait was a little longer, first, since it is a holiday, and second, I've been caught in a relations issue between the People's Republic of China (PRC) and the USA. The PRC has been offended by the US, and taking it out on applicants for visas. When the US started fingerprints of entrants from certain countries, applicants from the PRC were included on the list. That has offended the PRC, since no terrorists ever came from China. Now, I've been affected by this!

The fee for the visa was interesting too. I was first told $550HK, but when they realized I was from the US, the fee was suddenly $850HK. I'm told they charge whatever fee the US charges applicants from the PRC. Which in this case is much higher than the fee ($550HK) charged to residents entering the mainland.

Oh well, another day in Hong Kong isn't sooo bad.