Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Passing Time

So what do I do all day waiting for a visa?


Well, the view from my hotel room is interesting enough. I have a great view across Hong Kong harbor to Kowloon penisula. From here, I can see at least 20-30 boats and ships up and down the harbor. Everything from ferries to container ships.

And then, of course, there is Hong Kong shopping. I haven't done so much of that. I did find a very interesting computer mall yesterday. Otherwise, I haven't wanted to pick up more to carry. I am still moving a lot of clothes to Dongguan. Don't need more to carry.

Nonetheless, jewelry looks pretty well priced. Particularly opals. Place your orders.

Otherwise, since I didn't feel so well yesterday, I spent a lot of time watching television. The hotel programming is interesting. I guess it speaks to local interests, or at least, the interests of guests. There are 43 channels, and probably half are in English. There is also Korean, Indonesian, Japanese, Spainish, etc. Four channels have movies, but two of those are foreign with subtitles in both Chinese and English.

Sports takes up almost 10 channels. At one time yesterday, there were two badminton contests, one table tennis contest, at least 5 "football" games, and bowling. And, of course, the "football" was all European soccer events. Boring.

At least we do get about three news channels, from CNN, BBC, and Fox. Weird getting Brit Hume when you wake in the morning.

Programming is an interesting twist too. They show a lot of Fear Factor, Bounty Hunter, COPS, type shows. Then there is Alias about three times a day, but two seasons old. JAG, Miss USA 2005, and Lost make up other shows. Desparate Housewives is one of few new shows. And all of these are really only on the same channel, Star World. Oprah gets broadcast too. And BTW, I gotta go now, Shania Twain and Dolly Parton are on Oprah !