Monday, May 16, 2005

Do you walk on the left or right?

Okay, what side of the street do you walk in Hong Kong??


As I was heading out to dinner last night at a nearby Outback Steakhouse, I found myself sometimes dodging left and at other times right. You see, they drive on the left here. Stems from the British heritage. But in the mainland, as many of you have heard me mention in my stories from my first visit, they drive on the right.

So to which side do you walk? I find myself walking on one side sometimes and to the other later. I've just decided I follow and don't try to lead to one side or the other. Its fairly easy, since I tower over most everyone anyway. I just trail. No leading anyway. There are so many people you can't find space to get in front of anyone at anytime.

After dinner last night, I was out after 9 PM, and you would have thought it was rush hour. The streets were packed with people. And I do mean streets. Many were closed to pedestrians only. Good thing, because I don't think everyone would be able to move had they been restricted to the sidewalks.

Its Monday morning here now. The sun is breaking through a mass of black clouds over the harbor. Looks like another humid day. Seems prevalent this time of year.

And what a world it is. Here it is Monday morning, and I'm sitting here at my hotel in Hong Kong writing to the internet, with CNN on TV, and WMAG radio from High Point, NC streaming in the background on my computer. Yes, I'm listening to North Carolina radio on my computer! Unbelievable.

I even read the Raleigh News and Observer and Winston-Salem Journal newspapers last night. An alert had prompted me to a N&O article about Phillip Rivers. When I went to it, I realized I was reading it around 5 PM local, but that it hadn't been posted to the internet for more than 5 minutes. That meant I was probably reading before most North Carolinians received their own paper to read the article!!

And soon, I can walk across the street to Starbucks or McDonalds. Even can go to a Tony Roma Ribs next door. There are two Starbucks within a block. I just read in the China special in Newsweek, that there will soon be more Starbucks in China than any other country!

Well, I gotta go get my Visa to go inland. Off to the local offices later. Have to decide which side of the sidewalk to walk!