Saturday, June 25, 2005

Floods Hit China

Okay, I’m not in peril. Many of you have probably heard about the devastating flooding happening in China. It is taking its toll in human life and livelihood for thousands of Chinese. And although we have certainly endured the elements here too, most flooding is occurring to the west and north of my location.

I am in Guangdong Province along the Pearl River Delta. That is just up the river from Hong Kong. There is widespread flooding in the region, but at least not as much in the Dongguan city where I reside and work. Guangdong is a heavy industrial area, and shipments are being impacted. Rail travel is difficult too. But our plant seems to be immune to most problems. I did miss the ABC Evening News again today though, since lightning knocked out the TV antenna again.

Still, I have been impacted. I had planned to move into my new apartment today. It’s already under lease to me, and I was ready to go. But the rains have made living in the New World Garden complex not so desirable right now. Not devastating, mind you, but enough of a problem to stall my plans.

It seems the local water supply has been interrupted due to the high water around the water source or pumping station. That means no water to my apartment! I think I’ll just wait a few days.