Sunday, August 14, 2005

Hong Kong Sunday

For what I figured would be a lost day in a typhoon, today turned out to be pretty good. It never rained on me. It rained, but at least I was inside during that time.

I had a great American breakfast at the Novotel. The bacon is never crisp enough, but the rest of the meal was delightful. I wandered down to Times Square shopping center to join the crowds. No movie interested me at any of the nearby theaters, so I made my way over to Outback for a hamburger.

On my way back to the hotel, I took a different route. And what a route! First, I found a narrow alley of low cost clothing shops. It was more like a flea market setting. Only I was almost too big to get through. They sure designed this for smaller folks. Turning out of it, I came face to face with fish. And I do mean many fish. There were even fish in the street, and a lot of fish heads were for sale. A vendor would let some of his live fish jump into the street. It attracted attention. I don’t know if it helped sell em though.

As I made my way on, a street hawker gave me a handbill for the Health Portal. I decided to stop for a massage. I missed having one at the hotel this week. It wasn’t as good as by Zhuzhu but I now have a comparison.

Last night, I got a tip to go to Lan Kwai Fong for a great block of western style pubs and restaurants. I would have gone there later on Saturday night, but the rains were too heavy to venture there then. So off I went tonight. And oh did I have a great dinner. I had a burrito dinner!!! Yes! A burrito!! I finally found a Mexican restaurant. It was a pretty small bar with limited menu, but the margarita was exceptional, and the food was great. Certainly the best Mexican I’ve had in three months. Can’t wait to get back!