Saturday, August 13, 2005

Sanvu the Typhoon

Level 1 – What does that mean? Arriving in Hong Kong that was posted everywhere. You enter a building there is a sign. You enter the hotel, Level 1 signs. You enter the MTR subway: Level 1. At many a turn there is a sign for Level 1.

Walking outside, you suddenly realize the meaning. The wind pushes you sideways as soon as you exit into the open. Rain pelts you from every direction. Puddles of water are everywhere. Cars splash and spray water along curbs.

As I check in at the Novotel, the bell captain, Stephen, welcomes me back. It’s good to have a face that recognizes you, especially when you are so far away from home. Stephen then tells me, “It’s Sanvu, the typhoon.” He goes on to tell me it is likely to pass and not be a direct hit. Level 1 is just a stand by warning, and the forecast takes it up to a 10. The weekend isn’t looking so good. I sure hope it doesn’t rain all weekend.