Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Walks and lazy afternoons

Awakened by heavy rains on Sunday morning, I knew I was in for a washout of a day. I was right.

I did find some solace in a long walk down Cong Cheng Road in between showers. That’s one of the main roads in Dongguan city, just out the window of my apartment. I’ve walked down this road several times for the first long block anyway. And now I have eaten at the Korean, Japanese, and the Dongguan Old Restaurant along the way. On Friday, I found the Pizzeria Calzone, run by Miguel from Portugal. Wouldn’t you know a Portuguese would run the Italian restaurant? Well, he is doing a fine job. We had a wonderful dinner of pizza, lasagna, and other pastas. All were exceptional!

But on this day, I wandered further down Cong Cheng than I ever had. The first recognizable restaurant on this new block was McDonald’s. Now the amazing thing about it being here though is the fact that I had just passed one in the first block! Okay, they’re big blocks, but two this close? And this one was huge. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one so big. Very wide and two stories!

The new coming attraction is a Starbucks. It is due to open in a few weeks right next to the second McDonald’s. Newsweek recently reported that there will be more Starbucks in China in three years than in the US. At least one will be close to my apartment. Oh well, I don’t drink coffee anyway.

Passing on to the end of the block, I visited Park ‘n Shop, a major department store. I had been there on my first visit to Dongguan to buy essentials for my apartment. I wasn’t as successful on this visit. For the life of me I can’t find pictures for my new home. I keep looking, but nothing catches my fancy. I’ve got to get rid of these plain white walls soon.

The rains never came down too hard on me. It did shortly after I returned in a taxi though. Glad I wasn’t on the golf course for this downpour. Oh well, again soon.