Saturday, September 10, 2005

I got DSL I got DSL



I got DSL!  I got DSL!  About time, huh!  It only took an “act of the People’s Republic”, a big headache, and about six weeks.  I thought I would never get it.  But I finally did!

If you read my story about the visit to China Telecom to get their help, you may have noted that this has been a major frustration to me.  I lost an hour in the Telecom office trying to get them to send someone over to fix my problem.  No luck there at all.  They understood very little English, and just sent me to my apartment management.  So back to my apartment I went to wait to meet a couple of managers.  When they finally came, they concluded what I had been trying to tell them at the Telecom office all along:  I NEED A TECHNICIAN FROM CHINA TELECOM TO COME AND LOOK AT IT!!

So finally on Tuesday night, the technician made a visit.  It meant I had to return home early since they must be the only people in this country that don’t work until late in the night.

But the biggest frustration was actually the fix!  All they did was push one button!!  ONE BUTTON!!  Why didn’t someone just tell me to do that two weeks ago!!  

It was the on/off button on the modem.  The technician told me to turn it off anytime you finished use.  Who’s ever done that?  Of course, I sure couldn’t read the instructions saying to do that:  关闭当不是在使用中