Thursday, December 08, 2005

Cold Jet Planes

My comment about the cold air in airplanes got an interesting response the other day. I didn’t know my website was getting such activity, but out of the blue I got this email the other day:

From: Derek MacK.....
To:
brccbryson@aol.com
Subject: Cold jet planes
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 09:45:50 -0700
I was reading your blog the other day and noted that you were wondering about the temperature in the airplane on long flights. The problem is one of energy. In order to heat the air in the plane they have to burn precious fuel and exchange the air in the cabin more often. Some airlines actually offer the pilots a bonus based on fuel consumption (or more correctly – a lack thereof). It burns more fuel to go to fast, climb to high or heat the cabin to much. So… its often slow, cold and low if the pilot wants to make a few bucks on the fuel bonus. On many airlines (especially these days) it’s not about the passengers anymore.

I enjoy reading your blog as I have spent some time in China over the years.

Merry Christmas.
D MacK....
Vice President - Compression
VaporTech Energy Services Inc.
Calgary, Alberta Canada

Well, he should know. I don’t open the website to comments anymore. You wouldn’t believe the spam I was getting until I closed that feature. But I welcome readers to use the link to email me messages. Derek was kind enough to do that. (Remember, that it is nice to hear from you too.)

Thanks for the info D. MacK....!