Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A Thai Wedding

The bride wore a white strapless gown. She had pink roses in her hair to accent her complexion. The groom was in a matching white suit of white with . The best man was simply attired in black dinner jacket, a “joker’s shirt, blue jeans and white shoes. Shimmering Thai suits of red and chartreuse were the attire of the fathers of both. The mothers were elegant in similar colors.

What am I doing? …….. I don’t know how to write a wedding review! But I had to try! How often do ya get to go to a wedding in Thailand! I just did!! …… Still can’t believe it! I went to a wedding in Thailand!

There I was with the bride and groom regally dressed in white greeting the guests at the “stadium”! Yes, I said “stadium”! And here was the Governor, Judge, Sheriff, and Police Chief. I even sat with the Mayor of this Thai community.My friend, Tony, the owner of Para World Furniture here in Thailand, invited me to attend the wedding with him on Friday night. He always has a new incredible event for me. This was more than I could have ever expected. The bride was the daughter of one of his suppliers. He greeted us with a distinguished Thai bow; you know, with hands in a prayerful pose in front of one's face as you bow. I could tell he expected me to do the same, and I obliged in a style that I hope did not offend anyone nor looked so bad. The bride's father was in a Thai style red shirt, buttoned to the collar and shimmering of silk. Very distinguished.The wedding was held in what Tony called a “stadium”. But it was more like the old gymtorium in a semi-outdoor setting. It had open sides with a full gym, big stage and concrete floors. The weather was still in the 90’s but with the steady breeze it was pretty comfortable. I was sure glad it wasn’t one of those hotter nights in Thailand.

The bride and groom were greeting guests outdoors at a special setting. A photographer was getting pictures of most everyone with the new couple as they arrived. A red carpet then led to the “stadium”, lined with huge pictures of the couple in various settings. There was a lot of attention to the photographs, and the photographer seemed intent to get a lot more during this special night.

At least a hundred tables were setup inside, using the standard of Thai restaurants everywhere, plastic chairs. You see them everywhere. These were a bright red. An organist was playing music on the stage and a host emblazoned in a red coat and white plants started introducing singers for the entertainment. Interestingly, there was seldom any applause. ….. Tough crowd.

Caterers started serving a Chinese dinner as tables filled. There were pork skins for appetizers; spring rolls, pork, soup, and other good delicacies. I strolled through the cooking area early in the evening, and got a good response from the cooks and staff that I showed interests in their cooking. They did serve very well for such a large group. The drinks, including a bottle of Scotch, were left to each table to handle on our own.

It was all like a big party. Balloon vendors rolled through the crowd. Kids played everywhere. The entertainers just kept revolving. Several younger kids, including one very young girl did most of the singing. A dog even rolled in right beside our table at one time….. now that sure surprised me!

We sat with the mayor for a long time. The governor stopped by to see us. The police chief and sheriff all made speeches. (Now why speeches by law enforcement?) A judge evidently confirmed their marriage. He bestowed each with a floral type neckware. The bride and groom each individually declared their love and marriage to the delight of the audience.

They then proceeded through the crowd to speak to everyone in attendance. At each table they bowed and gracefully played to the pleasure of the crowd. They knew how to work the crowd.

After several hours, Tony and I slipped away. I got the chance to speak with the bride and groom, as we left. The groom spoke English and inquired: “Where was I from?” and other questions about me. They were a beautiful couple and were a joy to meet. But better yet, I was at their wedding! WOW! It was great! I went to a wedding in Thailand!

(More photos available at link in right column!)