Friday, March 24, 2006

Friday Night in the Office

Well, it’s Friday night, almost 8 PM, and I’m in the office waiting for a ride back to Dongguan.   At least, I’m listening to Bill Flynn and Lora Songster on WMAG from the streaming broadcast of WMAG in High Point.  My driver got stuck in a traffic jam somewhere, so I’m the odd man out waiting for a ride.  Sorta my luck lately.

It’s not the first time I’ve been here on a Friday night either.  Andy you know, here the work never seems to end.  Even at this hour most of the office staff is still here.  They have already been to the dining area for dinner, and now they are back at the office until 8 o’clock on a Friday night.  Try to find that at any office in America.

And around me I just came across the courtyard of the factory, and it’s still bustling too.  Lights are on in most buildings.  A truck is delivering plywood out at the street.  Hand trucks are rolling across the ceiling above my office, which means the finishing area is still working and units are coming in from the cabinet department.  

I keep saying that the biggest difference here in China is not that they work so fast.  It’s that they work so many hours.  Take into account the limited vacation and holiday time they take off, and you have a lot more hours of production here!  

Okay, I did just have a massage.  What a great perk!  (Go back in the archives to read about my earlier massage experiences.)  That is one of the reasons I’m here this late.   Now it’s off to dinner soon, at least I hope.  I’m gonna go look for my driver.  Have a great weekend!  ……………. Oh yea, I’ll be right back here on Saturday at 8:30 AM too.  We work everyday here too.