Sunday, August 06, 2006

Bangkok - At Last

Well, I finally made it to Bangkok! And even have my clothes again! I was getting a little tired of that same shirt and pants!

It took three days, but I arrived in Bangkok Saturday night. So nice to come in and get in one of those English style taxis for a ride across this vast city, and then to arrive at a wonderful and gracious hotel. They really how to do style and grace at hotels here. You would think you are back in Siam.

I even walked into the Montien Hotel last night here for my first visit ever, and without ever mentioning my name, I was greeted at the Registration by the beautiful Thai clerk, with "Welcome Mr. Bryson!" ........................ I was astonished!! My head was spinning. When did I give my name? How did she know that? How could she know me? ............. Nothing comes to mind as to how she knew. All I can figure is: I was the only American expected at that hour. Got me!

But oh is that ever nice. To be greeted personally is always a treat, but in such a surprising and recognizable way!

And what a hotel. Just spectacular. Old and gracious. Big wonderful rooms. Comfortable lobby bar with a pleasant jazz trio.

I think a night or two here will make me a little more comfortable!!