Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Lunch in Dahlingshan

I went out for lunch the other day.  Now that doesn’t seem like a big deal, but I can probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve gone out for lunch when I’ve been working in Dahlingshan at the factory.   When I’m served such great meals in the best little VIP dining room in China (at our factory), why do I need to go out.  

My friend Mitchell had stopped by with his associate Joe, and we took the opportunity to get together for lunch at the Grand Oriental Hotel.  That’s one of those big new hotels I’ve featured here in past postings.  On this occasion, we opted for the Western buffet restaurant.

Well, I found out a lot of other associates opt for the Western buffet too.  I had no idea.  I felt like I was at an AFMA (American Furniture Manufacturers Association) luncheon in High Point.  As soon as I walked in, I ran into friends and neighbors in the industry.  There was Mike from Outlook, and over there is Johnny from Thomasville.  There’s Craig from Bernhardt.  Then we spied Mark from Kimball.  I recognized one lady from the industry, but for the life of me, I still haven’t connected her association yet – but I’m sure it’s furniture.

But of all things, after sitting down with one round of food, this shadow suddenly overtook my food.  It was someone standing next to me, but in the glare from the window beside me, all I could see was a dark silhouette.  Then a voice beckoned:  “You remember me don’t ya Gene?” ………….. Here I am staring at this black shadow, and I start bouncing right and left to get a better view……….  When somehow my mind registered something and said, “Rick?  Is that you?”

Sure enough, it was Rick from Pennsylvania House.  Let’s see, I probably haven’t seen him in close to twenty years.  He’s been here for 12 years now, and learned the language and ropes pretty well.  

You really realize the impact of furniture in Dahlingshan by a little stop for lunch like that.  Here I ran into almost a dozen associates that I work with regularly or have known for years.  And caught up with one associate I haven’t seen in some time.  Amazing every time, but it gets downright commonplace here.