Wednesday, August 02, 2006

We'll Miss You Vicky

Monday was a sad day here at the Decca factory. There were some long faces and a few tears were shed. My first translator, colleague, confidant, and friend, Vicky Leung left the company.

Vicky has endured the tough life of coming to the factory in Dahlingshan weekly for almost 10 years. It is no easy life for anyone, but must have been particularly tough on a single woman from Hong Kong. Getting up every Monday to get on trains and busses for a couple of hours is no easy commute. But then you work long hours for six days a week just to return to your home in Hong Kong for only two nights a week.

But Vicky has been what most everyone considered the “heart and soul” of Decca. Not only did she do her daily job - several different roles over the years – but she also was the “go to” person for everything! She organized the daily lunch with guests. She assisted with visitors daily. She was translator. She was support. I don’t even know where to sit in the dining room anymore. Before I could always count on her to organize the seating and let me know where to sit. Now I have to figure out the Chinese hierarchy to understand where I am supposed to sit – or hopefully someone else will just let me know.

When I came here to Decca, Vicky was in charge of finishing, and one of my first tasks I was given was to improve our capabilities in that area. We spent much time together planning and changing operations. She was also my primary translator and served very ably in that role through discussions from Mandarin and Cantonese with ease and efficiency.

It’s tough to know that she has left. The dust, heat, and smog of Dongguan were affecting her throat, and a change of environment was desired. She is planning to spend a little time relaxing before returning to her former home in Toronto. Then she will consider new career plans.

I will certainly miss her smile, easy personality, and efficient support. But I’m happy she is doing what she wants in life.

Good luck Vicky!!