Monday, October 23, 2006

A Voltron in China????

I came here from Voltron! I’m sure now. I wasn’t so sure until recently. Bill Bryson put me on to the right facts. Reading his book, The Thunderbolt Kid, put everything in perspective. I was left here by aliens just a couple of weeks before they left my more famous travel writer “cousin” Bill. King Voltron was even good enough to put us both with Bryson families.

I’ve long been a fan of Bill’s books, and was looking forward to reading this new book about his growing up in the 50’s. But getting books is not always one of the easiest things to do here in China. Only this time, more than luck was on my side. Passing a book store near my doctor’s office last month in Hong Kong, I spied one of those tickler posters for The Thunderbolt Kid. I had already received emails from Random House that it was to be released on October 17. Well, this was only September. But I was wrong about it being a preview poster. It was advertising the book for sale inside! Yes! They had the book already!! I didn’t know they released on different dates in different countries. And I sure didn’t expect that Hong Kong would be one of the first release locations! But there it was! And soon it was in my hands!

As I was riding the subway to my office, a long ride from Central, I got absorbed in the book. I also got more than a few stares when I started laughing so hard. I literally had tears in my eyes that I could not suppress. I must have looked like a real fool to all the other Hong Kong riders: “What is this weird Westerner doing laughing so hard to himself?” You should have seen their expressions.

What a great book! I only wish I could write half as well as Bill Bryson. He captured things so well. I felt like it was written mostly about my youth, instead of a kid from Iowa. ………. Okay, some of the situations had to have taken place in a town a little bigger than Rutherfordton.

If you want to know anything about growing up during the 50’s or enjoy a good laugh about life during the “happy years”, be sure to read The Thunderbolt Kid,.

For a great tickler about the book, check this VidLit about The Thunderbolt Kid:

http://www.vidlit.com/bryson/