Monday, November 13, 2006

My Opposite

As I've mentioned before, I am often amazed here in China to meet someone I've known or worked with for years. Recently I have been reacquainted with a former employee of mine that I hired almost 20 years ago. When you are in such a small industry and most furniture is now being made here in China, I guess it should not be such a surprise.

Last week, I had a rather unusual twist on this story though. Finishing a round of golf at the local Hillview Golf Club (I finally go to play again - not so good - but back feels better!), when I relaxed in the lobby waiting for a taxi. As I sat there waiting, a Chinese lady sat down in the lobby near me. Of all things, she had a shirt that said: ASHEVILLE SCHOOL.

Now under most circumstances one would be jumping to meet someone from their home, but I was actually a little more suspect of the situation. You see, it is not uncommon for English names and schools on the apparrel worn in this country. Never do you see Chinese characters! Don't ask me why!? No, they rather have English, and only wear it because of the look, and rarely for the actual school on a shirt or whatever name is promoted.

So I was a little cautious in asking the lady, but I did: "Do you know Asheville School?" "My daughter goes there!" was her quick reply! Well, what a shock! Here she was here visiting her family home here, while this Chinese lady now lives in Asheville, and here she was talking to me a guy from near Asheville now living in her hometown of Dongguan. How the world has evolved!