Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Hot Water Woes............................. Again!

What is my problem with hot water? I had trouble again! Yeah, many of you may remember I had been having difficulty maintaining hot water in my former apartment, and was thrilled to move to this new apartment with better services….. like good hot water.

Only time caught up with me again. I had also learned some time back, the hard lesson that to maintain hot water from the common gas heaters required batteries to fire the pilot lights. When I had trouble with hot water months ago, I was embarrassed that a serviceman came by my apartment just to look at me like some kind of dumb American that doesn’t know to change the battery….. Duh!

Well, this time I was ready. Hot water turned cold…… and I had NEW batteries ready! Yes! I was going to lick this thing this time. I am MAN! I can fix anything! Old batteries out….. New “D” batteries IN. Back to the shower…………. No hot water. None! Cold! AHHHHHH!! Now what????

After finally succumbing to the mercy of additional help, I called for another serviceman to come to my new apartment. So in comes another apartment service engineer. He checks the gas heater; seems fine. I proudly show my empty battery box so that he knows I have put in new batteries. He traces the line over the wall about four feet to the meter for the gas entering to my heater. Off comes a cover, and there are more batteries!!! Batteries on the meter too! Give me a break! Who put those there? And here comes that “doesn’t the dumb American know to change the battery” look again!

Of course I didn’t have the four AA batteries required! NO! It took another trip to the store to finally get the gas renewed again! Just my luck. What is it with batteries everywhere!