Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas..... Just Like Any Other Monday

Is it really less than a week before Christmas? It really has a way of slipping up on ya, doesn’t it? Well, it really does over here.

There is a saying I learned from one of my ex-pat friends here: “Everyday is a Monday.” And how right that is. I was even sitting with him for dinner last Sunday night, but he had to leave early to go to a meeting! Yes, I said Sunday night! It’s just like any other day.

Well, that makes Christmas even less of an event. It has really sneaked up on me. I do get a couple of days off, and hope to make a couple of parties like last year, but the invitations haven’t been forthcoming. Maybe soon………. Or I should say: “Better be soon!”

Christmas does get some attention here. Folks are picking up on it, particularly the stores and businesses that cater to foreigners. They are counting on that extra kabling in the cash register, just like stores in the US. They have stocked extra, and many are having events geared to getting us to spend our money at their locales. It usually works.

But anyway, I’m not doing too much. Hopefully, I will be off to a Christmas Eve or Night dinner. And I will probably play golf one of the days. Otherwise, “Everyday is a Monday.” And I work most of those! Only I do have Monday and Tuesday off. YES!! Even though the factories will be working right along, like any other day, or (should I say) “any other Monday”