Saturday, December 16, 2006

See Wai's Wedding Reception

There is a very polite tall young man that works closely with me at Decca, with a pleasant smile and a timid manner. His name is See Wai. It is a joy to try to poke fun at him, or pull his leg. He’s one of those characters that just tilts his head and tries to determine if you are serious.

Upon my return, See Wai came to me bashfully informing me that he wanted to invite me to his wedding reception. When I asked about the date of his wedding, I was a little surprised when he informed me that it had been in October! Wow! And I didn’t even know! I can’t be too surprised though, it was in Hong Kong. And that’s just the way some things are here; a little more private about some things than others.

But so what…………… it was another party! And what a joy! See Wai was a real gentleman and the pride he shared was evident in his joy and happiness.

It all started out a little awkwardly. The nearby hotel was good enough to send a couple of buses to haul most of the management and staff to the event across Dahlingshan. Only, the bus I was in suddenly stopped less before we could get out of the industrial complex. We had a flat tire! Of course, everyone blamed me, saying it had to be my weight gain from Thanksgiving, since I had been riding over the delinquent tire.

We soon had alternate transport, and got on to the event before missing any activities. The wedding reception was like so many I’ve attended here now. The bride, Fang Fang, was beautiful, and changed her attire after the cake cutting. See Wai was resplendent in a grey tuxedo. There was a champagne glass tower, cutting of the cake, plenty of food, and a lot of wine! And being a Decca party, there was a lot of wine consumed quickly!

The host did a great job of sharing in his joy. The bride’s parents were present and quite pleasant. Her father even presented the Decca management with a calligraphy print he had prepared himself – being an educated scholar in this Chinese art.

And who would believe it, See Wai is a Cyclone. An Iowa State Cyclone! Yes, that Iowa! He has an architecture degree from Iowa State. There he was in the standard wedding slide show in his Iowa State sweats on the steps of one of the classroom buildings there. Now he does a great job handling our quality coordination in the factory.

Congratulations See Wai and Fang Fang!

(Pictures available from the link under Photos in right column.)