Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Earthquake Disrupts Internet Communcations

Who woulda thought an earthquake so far away would affect me so much! But this is getting miserable! As you may have heard, the earthquake in Taiwan earlier last week has drastically disrupted telecommunications.

At first, I just thought my computer wasn’t working right. Or that my office network had been disconnected. So a call to the IT guy (who, of course, speaks limited English), and he came running. But I could tell that he was baffled too. After a couple of minutes he was on the phone to somewhere – probably Hong Kong. After a deep sigh he turned to me with a look of despair. I knew it was trouble.

He said something like: “trouble – Taiwan – no USA server.” After contemplating a few minutes, I realized he was trying to tell me that the earthquake that I had heard about in Taiwan was affecting internet service to the USA. Jumping on my computer to call up a local Chinese internet site, I quickly realized that Asian sites were okay. Okay at least in the term that they worked, but as you probably know, I don’t read Chinese very well! USA sites are still incredibly slow, or not able to connect at all.

By the day things are improving, but after three days I could still not get anything of significance back home. Now some comes through, but very slow and very difficult to get some sites. Heck, it took me three days to just get this notice posted.

And I really miss following game casts of bowl games. Come on, I can’t watch the games, it’s my only treat! Now I can’t even watch the news of a game on a computer. Not this year!

And again in China, I say: ……… “Oh well!”