Monday, July 23, 2007

And Another Birthday - Tony's

I walked into the office last Thursday and knew there was something very different. My nose told me so. It smelled like a florist shop! And there are many smells of life in China, but that is a rare one here.

I started quizzing the girls in the office about what was going on. One of the girls, scribbled out “birthday” on a sheet and pointed to Tony’s office. She knew the word, but didn’t dare try to pronounce it. English isn’t one of her virtues. BTW Only a couple of staff can speak the language.

Flowers kept showing up from several departments. By noon, they were separating to different vases throughout the office.

In the mid-afternoon, the office was buzzing again. Suddenly, a co-worker came in our meeting, and suggested we quickly get over to another conference room. There the conference table had been wrapped in shrink wrap and a cake was fitted with one of those unique Chinese candles. Ah! A good ole birthday celebration.

So Tony’s birthday again! Wow! Have I really been to three of Tony’s birthday celebrations now? How the years are passing! And oh a special dinner was of course planned. I just couldn’t pass up this one! It’s back to the Richwood Hotel with friends Chris and Barrett here visiting from the US.

[Are there too many birthday parties here? Or do I just party too much? …… I know you are probably thinking that………….. ]

The Richwood Hotel was divine again. We made the trek down to it about a year ago to eat in the Thai restaurant there. It is a relatively new hotel that looks like a resort hotel, but is located in industrial Humen area of Dongguan instead of on a tropical beach. The place is great. And the food was delicious.

Chris and Barrett and I were tested quickly on the first dish. As the plate of pickled white meat was offered to us immediately on getting to the table, we knew it had to be something unique. I thought octopus, until I bit into something hard in the center……. Ah, yes! That would be a bone. And that means it’s that favorite dish of China: chicken feet. Not bad really. Just still don’t like the bone and toenails. Rest of it was pretty good though.

The rest of the meal was less unique, but nonetheless delicious. The place is wonderful. Even down to the durian flavored naan bread.

I had wanted to revisit the Richwood. Glad I got too!

Happy Birthday Tony.